top of page

​Visa conversion

F-1 visas, including OPT, can be converted to B-2 if necessary; the attached F-2 can also be used. For non-immigrant visa extension and change of status, form I-539 is required.

materials needed

    1. Application letter. Introduce who you are, where you are from, where you want to go, why you need to change your status to B-2, and explain clearly that you are only temporarily staying (traveling) and you will return to China when you expire. If you have a clear plan and a return ticket, it’s best .

    2. Proof of financial resources. Such as bank statement. The recommended in this list is $1,000 per month.

    3. Copies of the following documents: visa, I-94 record, OPT card (if any), completed I-539 form. Remember to sign!

    4. If you want to receive SMS or email notifications, fill in G-1145.

    5. Check. $370, and each applicant has to pay $85 for fingerprinting, totaling $455. You can use money order, personal check, cashier's check, or you can fill in G-1450 to pay by credit card. ​​


In addition, it is recommended to provide the following instructions or documents:

    Instructions or documents proving that you are "closely connected" in the country, for example, all your relatives are in the country, etc.

    Instructions or documents proving that you are only in the United States for a "short stay", such as a flight ticket to return to China after three months have been bought.

Steps to apply

    1. Prepare the above materials, including filling in I-539 and signing.

    2. Send it to USPS. Please check the address on USCIS's I-539 address page. F-1/OPT -> B2 applies to the category "All other Forms I-539" on this page, the address is: For US Postal Service (USPS): USCIS, PO Box 660166, Dallas, TX 75266. For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries: USCIS, ATTN: I-539, 2501 S. State Highway 121 Business, Suite 400, Lewisville, TX 75067.

    3. Wait for notification and fingerprint.

    4. Finish the fingerprint and other trial results.

Grace period conversion visa

    Once the I-94 of the B1/B2 visa expires, the status will immediately become invalid. At this time, even if there is a pending case, you can stay in the United States legally, but you cannot extend or change your status again because you do not have any legal status to "extend" or "transfer".

    After the end of the study/exchange, in order for J/F/M visa holders to prepare for departure, USCIS will give a grace period (Grace Period) by default, where F-1 is 60 days and J-1/M-1 is 30 days. However, if you violate your status, your J/F/M status will immediately become invalid without any grace period, see DHS instructions.


Can I change my status during the grace period?

    1. F/M Yes. Both F/M can apply to USCIS for "change of class of admission" within the grace period. The USCIS official website pointed out this in the Cap-Gap explaining the F-1 application H-1B.

    2. There is no problem with J-1 submitting H-1B within the 30-day grace period (provided that you can be exempted from the two-year residence requirement, ie INA 212e); after submission, you can legally stay in the United States before the USCIS approves it.

Please call 626-802-5085 or 626-802-5083 for free consultation

The above immigration policy and fees may be fine-tuned, please contact us for details

bottom of page